How bad do you “Want It?”
In order to improve your performance for any sport you have to want it. These lyrics from Blue October’s song “I want it” are exactly the mindset you need to have when you want to improve your sports performance:
“To all of you in the way
I push you aside
Flames burn down together
I refuse to ignite
I won’t walk away (that is not in me)
I’m here to stay”
At first glance this appears to be a mindset shift only. However, when you are looking at achieving results you need to have three things. These 3 things are the right mindset, consistency, and planning. As you look at these opening lyrics again you can see how the individual is having a mindset shift, is planning on doing what he/she needs to do in order to succeed, and will be consistent by not walking away. Below are definitions from dictionary.com to help give you context of what each means:
1. Mindset is an attitude, disposition, or mood
2. Consistency is steadfast adherence to the same principles, course, form, etc.
3. Planning is the act or process of making a scheme or method of acting, doing, proceeding, making, etc. , developed in advance
What and how do these 3 components equate to results of improved performance from strength training?
The secret to succeeding is your mindset. You have to want succeed at your goal(s) more than you want those fleeting moments of pleasure you get from staying in bed for extra sleep or staying on the couch to watch your favorite TV show or a movie.
What is it and what do want?
Maybe you want to drop a couple of pants sizes. Maybe you want to be off your medication. Maybe you want to be known as a marathoner, triathlete, obstacle course runner, etc. Maybe you are trying to stay ahead of disease. Maybe you are trying to slow down father time. Or maybe you just want the immense satisfaction of being in control of yourself!
You have given away power of your own life when you are unable to resist immediate satisfaction over reaching your goal!
Once you know what you want, go after it with the following strategies:
1. Stop. You MUST STOP making excuses. In the beginning, it will be difficult, but with consistency you will succeed and changing your mindset.
2. Savor the victory. Once you come out on the other side having successfully won the battle within your own mind, you will have accomplished much more. Enjoy the process of the plan you have created.
3. Focus on new rewards. You want to reward yourself in a healthy way. Make sure these new rewards are life-giving and energy-producing, such as the thrill you get when you can run a 5K or set a PR in your strength training. Often times these are no more than just giving yourself a high five.
You can have power over habits: it’s all about mindset. You can do this!
The second component to succeeding with improved performance is to have a plan. When it comes to exercise and nutrition most struggle with getting start from a lack of not knowing what to do. This is where a coach or a training program like we have through HH Fitness, Inc. can help you. We have different training options that will help you get on track. We will create the training plan for you; all you need to do is show up and execute the plan. We will also go over various nutrition options with you as well, with the goal being to find the plan that fits your life the best.
The final component is to be consistent with the plan. You must attack this one day at a time and on a week by week basis. Find one day out of the week and schedule your training sessions into your calendar. Treat these appointments the same way you would treat a doctor’s appointment, don’t miss them.
So, how bad do you “want it?”
If you are needing help to get started feel free to contact me at 512.348.7388 or email me at HeathHerrera@HHFitness.com so we can schedule you for a FREE success session to get you on the right track for improved health and fitness.